Digital Storytelling: An Introduction to the Pedagogy
This session will explain digital storytelling, a pedagogical strategy that uses innovative techniques to facilitate the reflection process and promote learning. When students create a digital story, they engage in a reflection process that allows them to demonstrate their learning through words, visuals, and sound. This process results in deep learning, fosters critical thinking, integration of knowledge, and reflective thinking.
Constructing a digital story inspires students to dig deeper into their subject, to think more complexly about it, and to communicate what they have learned in a creative way. Participants will understand the implications of this pedagogical strategy for teaching and learning and how to integrate digital storytelling into courses or programs.
Shortly after this session, participants are encouraged to sign up for individual assistance from consultants related to:
- Developing instructions for an assignment or editing an existing assignment designed for a digital story as the final product
- Creating effective reflection prompts connected to identified course outcomes
- Mapping out the course agenda allowing students realistic time for creating a digital story in a given semester
- Consider strategies for evaluating the student products (e.g., rubric design)
These consultations will be available during the following time frames.
- November 14th - 9 am - 12 pm EST (two consultants, six slots total)
- November 15th - 1 pm - 4 pm EST (two consultants, six slots total)
- November 19th - 1 pm - 4 pm EST (two consultants, six slots total)
For those of you participating from a distance, we can provide consultations during these time periods via Adobe Connect with advance notice.
Additionally, participants will have the option to attend a hands-on session on December 11, 2013 from 10 am - 2:30 pm EST. The purpose of this session is to experience creating a digital story, reflect on the process and the implications for your teaching and your students, and practice assessing digital stories.
Presenter: Kristin Norris - Assessment Director, IUPUI Center for Service and Learning
- Tuesday November 12, 2013 02:00 PM
- Tuesday November 12, 2013 03:30 PM
- Northside Hall 038 (Video Conference)
- Kael Kanczuzewski
- Contact Email