Suicide Prevention Conference
The Indiana University Northwest Wellness Team, the Northwest Indiana Suicide Prevention Council and Regional Mental Health Center are sponsoring this year’s “Faces of Suicide” conference from 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Friday, Nov. 8 in the Bruce W. Bergland Auditorium, located in the Savannah Center.
The conference is intended to offer information and hope to professionals, individuals, families, friends and leaders who want to make a difference in the lives of those they care about. The conference’s speakers will offer solutions and equip attendees with information that can help professionals use community resources, spiritual healing and counseling services to help those in crisis.
8:30 to 11 a.m.
“Rapid Trauma Resolution”
- Michael Cortina, LCSW, LCAC, CRRT, will present a unique and highly effective treatment model that is appropriate for a variety of populations and trauma situations. Cortina is the Director of Outpatient Services South for Regional Mental Health Center in Merrillville.
11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
“Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) – An Approach to Treating Trauma”
- Kelly Bishop-Bohren, MSW, will present the DBT framework and its effectiveness in treating trauma. Bishop-Bohren is a social worker and home school advisor for Portage Township Schools and a therapist in private practice.
12:45 to 2:15 p.m.
“Psychological Assessment of Suicide and Trauma”
- Ron Ruff, Ph.D., along with interns Loan Nguyen and Matthew Vogler, will help clarify the assessment process. They will speak about integrated psychological assessment, assessment of military-related post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and neurological assessment in PTSD. Ruff is a court psychologist for the Lake County Juvenile Court.
2:30 to 3:45 p.m.
Panel Discussion of Suicide and Trauma in the Military
- Jackie Algozine, BA, has worked for Monroe County Adult Probation, Porter County Adult Probation and Porter County PACT, Inc.
- Nicole Manick, LFMT, LMHC, has worked as a marriage and family therapist in many settings.
- Noah Hamilton, Ph.D., mentor for the Veterans Treatment Court of Porter County and a veteran.
- Henry Hitchcock, Ph.D., director of Veterans Life Changing Services.
Registration is $35 for students and $65 for all others. The fee includes a continental breakfast, boxed lunch, handouts, and a Professional Continuing Education Unit (CEU) certificate. Registration is due November 1 (late registrations may be accepted if space available).
The event is open to the public. To register, or for more information, contact Norma Jean Juel at Geminus Corporation (219) 757-1906 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday November 08, 2013 08:00 AM
- Friday November 08, 2013 03:45 PM
- Bruce W. Bergland Auditorium, Savannah Center
- Anne Mitchell at (219) 980-6611
- Contact Email
- $35 for students; $65 for all others
- More Contact Info
- Norma Jean Juel at (219) 757-1906