Research at the Mathers Lecture Series -- A Snapshot of Happiness: Photography, Religious Mediation, and Economic Uncertainty in Muslim Senegal
Popular photography in cities across the African continent favors multiple exposures, cutwork, and photomontage. In Dakar, photographers taking family pictures incorporate these elements and also draw on Muslim Sufi visual practices emphasizing repetition and montage. Beth Buggenhagen, Faculty Curator and Assistant Professor of Anthropology, focuses on the production and circulation of photographs by Muslim women. The lecture will be free and open to the public.
- Friday February 08, 2013 12:00 PM
- Friday February 08, 2013 01:00 PM
- Mathers Museum of World Cultures, 416 N Indiana Ave, Bloomington, IN
- Mathers Museum of World Cultures
- Contact Email
- More Contact Info
- Other Info
- Free visitor parking is available by the Indiana Avenue lobby entrance. Metered parking is available at the McCalla School parking lot on the corner of Ninth Street and Indiana Avenue. The parking lot also has spaces designated for Indiana University C and E permits. During the weekends free parking is available on the surrounding streets.