THE COMEDY 2012 film directed by Rick Alverson (not rated, drama) 94 min.
On the cusp of inheriting his father’s estate, Swanson (Tim Heidecker) is a man with unlimited options. An aging hipster in Brooklyn, he spends his days in aimless recreation with friends in games of comic irreverence and mock sincerity. As Swanson grows restless of the safety a sheltered life offers him, he tests the limits of acceptable behavior, in every way he can. Heidecker’s deadpan delivery cleverly masks a deep desire for connection and sense in the modern world. Rick Alverson’s provocative character study touches a darkness behind the humor that resonates with viewers long after the story ends. (HD Cam presentation)
Rick Alverson is scheduled to be present at all screenings.
Rick Alverson is a filmmaker and musician from Richmond, Virginia. He has made four feature films in conjunction with the independent label Jagjaguwar, including The Builder (2010) and New Jerusalem (2011), his second feature, starring Colm O’leary and Will Oldham (Matewan, Old Joy). The Comedy, premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. In 2011, he was awarded a Visual Arts Fellowship from the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. He has also directed videos for Bonny Prince Billy and Gregor Samsa, and has released 9 records on Jagjaguwar, most recently with his band Spokane in 2007.
- Sunday December 09, 2012 07:00 PM
- Sunday December 09, 2012 08:30 PM
- The Indiana University Cinema is located at 1213 E. 7th Street, Bloomington, Indiana. We are located at the East end of the IU Auditorium building. Our main entrance is on the North side, facing the Wells Library.
- Carla Cowden
- Contact Email
- $3 students and $6 public
- Other Info
- Patrons need a ticket to attend all screenings. Tickets are available at the IU Auditorium Box Office Monday - Friday 10:00am--5:00pm and in the IU Cinema lobby 1 hour prior to screening, if tickets are still available.